Pages

Beautiful things for you and your home!

Lots of homely thoughts on sewing, baking, papercrafts, gardening and all the things that go towards making your house a home

Monday 26 September 2011

Your Singer Story

Just a quick little post which might interest you if you have an older Singer sewing machine. With the company celebrating its 160th birthday this year, they are encouraging owners to share their 'Singer Stories'. You can also enter the serial number of your machine (if it's prior to the 1970s) and find out what year it was made. A PDF link will then appear and you can print a commemorative certificate. It's quite cute and something nice to keep if you and your machine have some history together!

I need to take a picture of mine to put on here but having just entered the serial number I've discovered that mine was manufactured in 1929, the year of the Wall Street Crash that helped kick off the Great Depression. It arrived at our house probably in the very early 80s or late 70s when my Nan bought it for me from the local paper as my first machine. She was a seamstress by trade and taught me how to sew my first items, although I wish now that I had paid better attention of course! I remember the day it arrived and was set up on the dining table. I opened the case and that wonderful smell of polished wood and machine oil hit me. It was in fantastic condition and sewed beautifully. It makes you wonder though, doesn't it, what life did it have before it became my very first machine? In those intervening 50 years, who had it and what did they create with it?


Wonderful graphic courtesy of the Graphic Fairy Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your feedback, thoughts and ideas but please be kind and play nice so that it is enjoyable for everyone. Thank you :)